This ad is expired.
Student Worker - Sankofa Summer Bridge Student Mentor
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or email@example.com.
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for the position of Sankofa Summer Bridge Student Mentor. Sankofa is the new Black student recruitment and retention program at NSC. The Sankofa Summer Bridge is a two-week academic enrichment program geared towards high school juniors, seniors and incoming NSC freshmen. The Sankofa Summer Bridge Mentors are dynamic student leaders who are passionate about community advocacy, social justice and supporting their peers in achieving academic success in college. Sankofa Student Mentors will play a critical role in developing team-building activities for the Summer Bridge participants, supervising field trips, supporting in-class and online activities and creating a memorable experience for potential NSC students.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Advise students on college readiness such as: financial aid, study skills, research, writing and effective interpersonal communication
- Update the Canvas page as needed
- Print documents and prepare materials for class sessions
- Update Sankofa media during the durations of the Summer Bridge program
- Support Sankofa students on and lead community building activities
- Supervise students on field trips and other activities on and off campus
- Work with faculty and staff to design and implement co-curricular activities
- Track student attendance and participation
- Support in the coordination of the final rites of passage ceremony
- Engage with community partners
- Must be in good academic standing and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled as a degree seeking student with a minimum of 6 credits in the current or upcoming semester at NSC.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
Due to the current health and safety emergency declaration, anyone hired must receive a complete (and verified) COVID-19 vaccination series or an approved medical or religious waiver request as a term and condition of employment prior to any start date at any Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institution.
- Desire to uplift incoming students
- Ability to participate online and in-person for Sankofa events
- Passion for working with Black students
- Ability to motivate teens or young adults for education
- Demonstrated record of leadership and academic excellence
Student employees can work up to 19.5 hours per week for the 2-week program.
$12.00 per hour
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position, the Sankofa team and Nevada State College;
- Answer the following questions:
- 1. What do you have offer to Sankofa Summer Bridge Program?
- 2. When it comes to education, I am passionate about?
- 3. The most challenging part of the college experience is?
- Answer the following questions:
- Copy of Fall or Spring schedule and proof of current GPA;
- Names and contact information of three references (you will be notified before references are contacted).
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Student candidates are encouraged to visit the Career Services Center (RSC 128 | 702-992-2611 | email@example.com ) to receive assistance with their resume, cover letter, and/or interview skills.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Student-Worker---Sankofa-Summer-Bridge-Student-Mentor_R0130374
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-6621fb7200ddc84ab1245803bd7402df