This ad is expired.
Excel Program Student Mentor
Salary for Announcement:
Employee Category: Student
Department: Admissions Office
The MSU Denver Excel Program is a recruitment and retention program housed in the Office of Admissions that serves to meet the academic, financial, and social needs of underrepresented student populations from select high schools in Adams County and Aurora Public Schools. Excel Program student mentors are the fundamental point of contact for Excel Program scholarship recipients (aka Excel Scholars). Student mentors meet with assigned scholar cohorts on a monthly basis to discuss academic progress, to assist with connecting them to various campus resources, and to help create a welcoming scholar community. Candidates for this position must be available to work approximately 15 to 20 hours per week during the semester and must be available as needed for required work, training, workshops, and/or planning efforts. #LI-DNI
Peer Mentor (75%)
- Manage a caseload of assigned Excel Program scholars. Duties include checking in with students, tracking student progress and meeting notes, and assessing students needs. This can include connecting students to other university resources and contacting offices to ask general questions with/on behalf of students (this may also include escorting students to other offices).
- Coordinating with Excel Program student supervisor on volunteer opportunities for scholars and keeping detailed records of volunteer hours.
- Tracking data on program tracking sheets and university network drives.
- Some evening and weekend hours will be required (e.g. MSU Open House, Excel Program events, etc.).
- Planning and participating in Excel Program Get Connected events required of Excel scholars.
Additional Duties (25%)
- Assisting with calling campaigns to reach out to prospective students from Excel Program high schools.
- Attending bi-weekly meetings with Excel Program student supervisor.
- Assisting with additional duties as assigned to support Office of Admissions efforts.
- Assist Excel Program professional staff with office duties as assigned.
- Maintain a clean and organized meeting space.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Have completed at least 24 college credit hours.
- Enroll full-time during the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Possess the ability and desire to work with a diverse student population including (but not limited to) students of color, LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, first-generation students, students from low-income backgrounds and English language learners.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and in a team.
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish or any other language
- Display organization, responsibility, resourcefulness, punctuality, self-motivation and successful time management.
Posting Date: 06/28/2021
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/16702
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency