2024 Summer Undergraduate Mentored Research Program/Get Experience in Aging Research Undergraduate Program
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Open Date: Oct 11, 2023
Deadline: Feb 01, 2024 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Summer Undergraduate Mentored Research Program (SUMR) is a full-time, paid summer internship presented by the Wharton School's Health Care Management Department and Penn LDI at the University of Pennsylvania that introduces promising undergraduates to health services research. The 12-week program aims at creating and promoting equal opportunities for students to conduct research in graduate programs in the fields of health economics, health care management, health policy, population health, and clinical epidemiology.
Starting in 2023, SUMR has expanded the program to attract scholars who want to get experience in aging research. The Get Experience in Aging Research Undergraduate Program (GEAR UP) is a 15-month sustained fellowship program in the demography and economics of aging and health care for undergraduates from underrepresented backgrounds who are interested in a career in aging research. More information about the GEAR UP program can be found here: Get Experience in Aging Research Undergraduate Program (GEAR UP).
The GEAR UP 2024 program will run for 15 months concurrently with SUMR, beginning May 28, 2024 through August 15, 2025. Those who wish to apply for GEAR UP should complete a SUMR application and indicate in the application form your desire to be considered for GEAR UP.
SUMR and GEAR UP Application Timeline will be the same.
What do SUMR/GEAR UP scholars do?
- Work on paid research projects with Penn faculty mentors
- Hear about graduate school opportunities
- Participate in 6-month online GRE prep program
- Attend week-long orientation and 20 seminars with Penn faculty
- Attend academic conferences
- Participate in an 8-week critical writing program
- Present research at End of SUMR Symposium
- GEAR UP scholars will have an additional 12 months of formal and informal activities, incorporating online components that increase program flexibility and increase access to the academic-year program for students outside of Philadelphia.
Who is eligible?
- Program participants should have an interest in health care and strong quantitative skills.
- Candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the field of health services research (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Pacific Islander), first-generation college students, individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, individuals with disabilities, and individuals who identify as LGBTQIA are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Prospective participants do not have to make a commitment in advance to attend graduate school to be accepted into the program, but an academic or research career should be something they are considering. A committee of Penn faculty selects each years SUMR/GEAR UP scholars from the highly competitive applicant pool.
Interfolio/Dossier is the platform through which you will upload various parts of your application and allow you to track the progress of your application to SUMR. If you have not already signed into or created your Interfolio/Dossier account, use this link to do so now: https://account.interfolio.com/login. (If you are creating a new Dossier account, make sure to select the free option).
In addition to the application form, we also require:
- A resume
- An unofficial college transcript
- A headshot
- Two confidential letters of recommendation
All parts of your application must be submitted by February 1, 2024.
Upload your unofficial college transcript, resume, and headshot to Dossier.
To request letters of recommendation through Dossier, go to the Letters tab. In the upper right corner, click on " Request a Letter" and fill out the contact information for your two references (you may have to "Add New Contact" for each of the references).
- Make sure you request a confidential letter or evaluation.
- As mentioned above, the official deadline for applications is February 1st, 2024. You will be asked to set a due date for your recommenders to send in their reference letters. We recommend that you request for your letters to be submitted at least a month before the actual deadline to be sure that all parts of your application are complete before February 1st.
- It may be helpful to provide this link to the SUMR website in your description https://ldi.upenn.edu/education/penn-ldi-training-programs/sumr/.
- In your message to the recommender, you may want to reinforce that the letters of should address something important about you, including a description of your academic and personal characteristics, especially related research aptitude.
You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete by February 1, 2024.
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/133777
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class. Questions or concerns about this should be directed to the Executive Director of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs, University of Pennsylvania, 421 Franklin Building, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6205; or (215) 898-6993 (Voice) or (215) 898-7803 (TDD).
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-dec89c353e676c4abc2cddb78f3d0393